Use the same process your filter housing manufacturer recommends for sand!
Backwashing process for Pools/Spas and Water Features
- Expect your pressure to drop significantly upon installation as FilterBalls produce very
little backpressure—less than 1 PSI
- Record the starting PSI, backwash when the PSI increases by 5-7 PSI.
- Expect to backwash much less frequently FilterBalls hold over 20X the amount of dirt as
sand before it reaches the pressure increase by 5-7 PSI requiring backwashing. Typical
residential pools backwash monthly.
- When you backwash, don’t expect to see a puff of dirt in the site glass as you see with
sand. The dirt release occurs evenly during backwash
- Recommended duration of back wash is 2 to 3 minutes
- Expect some dirt or large particles to remain in the media, the media is just doing its
- After backwashing, your pressure gauge should return to the original pressure.
- Over extended time, if your starting pressure after backwashing is not decreasing, it
means the FilterBalls are no longer release dirt. It is time to clean or replace them.